I may or may not have mentioned that I was going to start work on a renegade Imperial Guard army...
Basically, I've been hording bitz and occasionally picking up kits over the course of about a year (thus far), and this is a taster of what is to come...
The idea behind this force is that it represents some of the most oppressed sections of Imperial society that have been pressed into service. After all, the Imperial tithe comes to all worlds, be they hive worlds, agri-worlds or even feral worlds. All must pay the allotted amount of man-flesh to feed the eternal meat-grinder of the Imperial war machine.
Thus, the bulk of this army will be represented by abhumans, those considered to be "stable mutations", and feral humans and those conscripted from penal colonies.
What I've prepared here will form the basis of a unit of Wyrdvane Psykers (the unit that replaced the old Psychic Battle Squad). I wanted them to have quite a shamanistic appearance, but also showing a good amount of mutations, indicating the blessings and dark favour of the Chaos Gods. I've also got a cool idea in mind for their dedicated Chimaera transport, although you'll have to wait a bit for that one... As well as for a bit of further painting to take place!
I've used the following:
1. Vampire Counts - Necromancer (minus the daft bat wing ruff - I've had this one laying around the place for a couple of years now. Sadly firmly glued to a small square base, now also stacked atop a round one. Regrettably, I realise that I could have come up with a better solution than this, but that's hindsight for you, innit?)
2. Warriors of Chaos -sorceror from the Glottkin kit (obviously had to feature)
3. Warriors of Chaos - Festus The Leechlord (also had this for ages, an impulse buy that I did nothing with)
4. Beasts of Chaos - Great Bray Shaman (picked up with this project in mind)
5. Beasts of Chaos - Malagar the Dark Omen (again, picked up with this project in mind)
I also included the brazier / cauldron type piece from the Skaven Screaming Bell kit for a bit of fun. I've had this bit knocking about for ages, but with no real obvious use for it, despite it being a nice little feature. If I base it, it can also double up as an objective or something...